Office Filing Cabinet DIY

So a few posts back I mentioned that I was working on a little DIY project to change our bold little office filing cabinet into something that looked a little more modern (and better fit into my new color scheme)

Here's what you'll need: 

^ 2 cans of interior/exterior primer - I chose Valspar brand.
^ 2 cans of whatever color spray paint you'd like - I chose Valspar Color Radiance in Mirage
*While my mint spray paint had primer in it, I recommend taking the time to use primer beforehand (especially when covering over a dark color like I was)
^ A well ventilated area 






While I had an area set up and the spray paint ready to go, I decided to tackle a few other items. I quickly painted a few hinges so that all of our doors match, and iron candle holders for our patio area. There's nothing like multi tasking...


I decided not to paint the inside of the cabinet (why bother, no one will see it, why put more strain on my finger) or paint the inside of the drawers. I'm planning on lining them with a fun and funky patterned paper eventually - but for now, they'll stay red.

Follow the directions on the spray paint - I allowed about 10 minutes in between each coat of primer and the mint paint. And about an hour in between the primer and the mint. I also allowed about 3 hours before I brought it inside. Even though the top may feel dry, it can still be a bit tacky so I waited a full day before putting the hardware back on, filling the drawers and putting items on top of it.


Andddd.. here's the final product! Ta-Da! I think the light color gives it a much more modern look and is perfectly in line with the mint trend (which i'm obsessed with) An awesome makeover for about $12!

Happy Saturday!

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome and a great way to save money! :)

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS